What is SOAR?
SOAR is a national best practice developed to assist homeless adults with mental illness/co-occurring disorders applying for SSI/SSDI. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) are disability income benefits administered by the Social Security Administration (SSA) that also provide Medicaid and/or Medicare health insurance to eligible individuals. A SOAR Specialist acts as a legal representative to assist with gathering and analyzing medical evidence to advocate to the SSA and DDS.
- SOAR is 100% free to clients even upon approval of benefits.
- Approval on initial application for the homeless who have no assistance is about 10 to 15%.
- The application process is even more difficult for those who have a mental illness, substance use issues or co-occurring disorders.
- Appeals take an average of 1 year to complete.
- SOAR Specialists submit complete and quality applications that are approved more quickly.
Making Your Referral into the SOAR Program
- Please contact SOAR Specialist to serve your client
- Please do not give your client the Specialist's phone number without staffing
- Ask clients to begin collecting items including Social Security Card, valid form of ID, a list of recent employers and a list of medical providers
- If client is determined eligible, but does not have all listed documentation continue to proceed with contacting SOAR Specialist.